Friday, December 28, 2012

Local Spotlight - Barbarossa Brothers, American Opera, Kid Brother Collective & Sprout

It has been a good week or so of music. The holidays are always great for bringing musicians back to their home towns and special shows come from such things. First show I caught was of The Barbarossa Brothers. This band is a new sight in town featuring well established musicians in the local scene. Loren Kranz from The Ragbirds on drums and vocals, Ryan Fitzgerals of Sprout on bass, and Drew Pentkowski on guitar and vocals. I really enjoyed my time checking them out. They have kind of a Jerry Garcia Band sound especially in this song. Also check out the flickr photo-set I shot.





Second show of the weekend was one I was particularly excited about. Kid Brother Collective was a band I had not heard play in over ten years. They booked a few reunion shows to celebrate the re-release of their Highway Miles album on vinyl. American Opera also opened the show. The Flint Local 432 is a great venue with a lot of potential to continue helping out a lot of local music. I enjoyed checking the place out and meeting the organizers who keep the lights on. Here is a cool clip of Jon of American Opera talking about his history with Kid Brother Collective.

First a clip of American Opera. I have been waiting a while to get to shoot Jon play with my new camera. Love his music!



Getting to shoot Kid Brother Collective after being just a 16 year old at a hall show was an amazing feeling ten years later. They played mostly songs off of Highway Miles. I was a bigger fan of their first independent release with songs such as "Few and Far Between" and "The Small of Her Back". They did play "Ringfinger" which is one of my favorites by them but was also featured on Highway Miles. Here is a few clips.





Lastly I headed out to Whites one more time to see Sprout. Was a good way to end the weekend. Here is a goofy up-tempo version of one of my favorite songs of theirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment